Friday, January 7, 2011

Disappointment and Elation

You win some, you lose some. This is a phrase that Wisconsin can relate to because of the recent events that took place. I know I'm a little late on the scene here because of a very busy Holiday Season (Christmas and New Years) paired with my 3-week winter interim class, but I would still like to analyze the crap out of two of the more important games that have taken place in Wisconsin in recent memory...especially for the Badgers. You know who else the phrase 'you win some, you lose some' pertains to? This guy. As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I had four pretty important match-ups ongoing, three of them being against the blog's good friend, Kyle. I shall get to those starting right now with the final standings of our 2010 NFL picks contest!

2010 Final Standings:
Kyle: 140-116 (10-5-2)(16-16 over past 2 weeks)
Dave: 132-124 (5-10-2)(18-14 over past 2 weeks)

And would you look at that. Kyle prevails. Who didn't see that coming like 12 weeks ago? Either way, it was a pretty impressive run for both of us seeing as we both cracked the top ten percent of the world, which basically makes us awesome. Something else that makes us awesome is the fact that we were matched up in the championship game of our auction league as well as the third place game of our money league, where the winner would take home a whopping $10! (in other words, your money back). Some would call it the revenge of the Dave because I not only took home the auction league title, but also $10, both in dominating fashion. Oh yeah, and I also happened to win my NFL.com title game as a four seed. Yup. I rule at fantasy sports, but I'll let you know when this actually gets me somewhere in life. That's enough self-gratification...let's move on to the heart pounding action that took place last weekend in Wisconsin land.

In the granddaddy of them all, the Wisconsin Badgers took on the TCU Horned Frogs (my roommates and I looked up horned frogs on the internet to see if they were real...they are extremely horrendous looking creatures). Before I begin, I'd like to apologize for not previewing the game like I promised, but I think ESPN nailed that whole preview the Rose Bowl game thing home pretty well for me so I owe a thanks to the worldwide leader in sports. Now I think we all know by now that the Badgers lost in pretty brutal fashion to TCU by just 2 points, but I think this could have easily been avoided. I'm going to make this as simple as possible...here are the only two plays that Wisconsin should have run the entire game. Hand off the ball to Montee Ball; hand off the ball to John Clay. Should this have occurred, TCU would have had a total of three possessions in the entire game. One thing I'm still scratching my head over are the unnecessary attempts to THROW THE FOOTBALL! TCU COULD NOT..i repeat..COULD NOT stop our run game. Normally when the other team can't stop you from doing something, you continue to do it. But whatever. Two more things: it hurts to lose by 2, especially when Phillip Welch misses a chip shot field goal within a range that he's basically never missed from. And finally, what did defensive coordinator Dave Dorian expect to accomplish by giving the TCU receivers roughly 12 yards of cushion every single play? Am I missing something here? I mean, I understand that the weakest part of our D was the secondary, but they aren't that incompetent, are they? Enough rhetorical questions. It was simply put a very painful experience for Wisconsin Badger fans because of the rather shotty play calling, poor execution and not coming through in clutch situations...all things that the Badgers avoided for the most part this season. Overall, it was a very successful year for Wisconsin and it was also my pleasure to write for the Badgers blog on jsonline, which I contributed to one last time this week for the Rose Bowl game. Thankfully, not all hope was lost for the weekend because there was one last important game that was yet to take place.

And I remember, because I was theerrre (Chris Berman voice).



It was a chilly Sunday afternoon at the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. The wind chill reached as low as -5 degrees as darkness overtook the sky. My lower and upper body reached double digits in layers so that I could survive four plus hours of such conditions while still enjoying the game. Besides my feet becoming a little cold midway through the first half, I managed to keep warm and focused on a Green Bay Packer team that felt as though it was necessary to scare the living crap out of all attendees at the game. This was especially disturbing for multiple reasons. First of all, it's the Bears. Second, it was playoffs or bust. Lastly, I was there. My friend Kenne, who was also in attendance, more than likely would've driven straight off a bridge on the way back to Oshkosh if the Packers didn't finally get their heads out of their rear ends and defeated Da Bears 10-3. From watching all 16 games that the Packers participated in this year, I think a few things are clear that we all have to accept as Packer fans...there are always going to be questionable plays called by Mr. McCarthy...Green Bay will either keep every game close or win quite handily...Aaron Rodgers is slowly coming into his own when it comes to pulling out much needed games...I want to have Aaron Rodgers' babies...the Packers can hang with any team in the NFL. Okay, so some of you might not agree on the fourth statement, but you should. Upcoming this Sunday is the Packers' first round playoff matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles. Honestly, anything could happen in this game and you basically have to throw out the first game between these two clubs. Michael Vick only played one half and both teams have suffered multiple injuries since week one, so Dom Capers will have to stir up a completely revamped game plan for the Eagles explosive offense and the elusive dog fighter himself.

After the Packer game, I will partake in a doubles ping pong tournament with my good friend, Boom. Should the Packers lose, I'm banking on doing some major work in that tourney to avenge my beloved Green and Gold. Best case scenario: the Packers win, I win, we're all happy. As much as I know how you would like to hear a prediction from me for this game, it's just not gonna happen...no way am I even touching that. However, I'll take a stab at the other three playoff games on the week 1 slate:

Ravens OVER Chiefs
Saints OVER Seahawks
Jets OVER Colts

GO PACK GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment