Saturday, October 9, 2010

2 for 1 deal

Here's the deal: I'm going to combine my Brewers' season review post with my NFL picks post for a few reasons. First, I'm doing so unbelievably bad in my picks that I figure it's not even worth explaining why I pick who, so until I figure out the NFL, I'm just going to show mine and Kyle's picks and move on. Second, I can actually talk more about Wisconsin sports instead of analyzing NFL teams. Third, I'm lazy. Really, you should all be pretty thankful because you're getting a helluva deal. NFL Picks AND the Brewers...all in one post? Unheard of. But before we get started, I'd like to take some time to congratulate Kyle for winning our fantasy baseball leagueokay now that that's over, let's get down to business.

Kyle took week 4 by going 7-7 with his picks while I went 6-8 (apparently, the more I learn about each team, the worse I do). That leaves the season standings looking like this:

Kyle: 30-32 overall (2-0-2 by week)
Dave: 28-34 (0-2-2)

Aaaaaaand week 5:

DAVE/KYLE

JACKSONVILLE @ Buffalo (+1.5)
TAMPA BAY @ CINCINNATI (-6.5)
ATLANTA @ CLEVELAND (+3.5)
St. Louis @ DETROIT (-3.5)
Kansas City @ INDIANAPOLIS (-8.5)
GREEN BAY @ Washington (+2.5)
Chicago @ CAROLINA (+2.5)
DENVER @ BALTIMORE (-7.5)
NY GIANTS @ HOUSTON (-3.5)
NEW ORLEANS @ ARIZONA (+7.5)
SAN DIEGO @ OAKLAND (+6.5)
TENNESSEE @ DALLAS (-6.5)
Philadelphia @ SAN FRANCISCO (-3.5)
Minnesota @ NY JETS (-4.5)

-------

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to sort of revise my look ahead to the Brewers 2011 season because of a few players that emerged. Also, the search has begun for a new manager after Ken Macha was canned a day after the season ended. Let's face it...the man was a sitting duck for the last couple months of the season, but it was the right move. To be fair, he didn't have C.C. Sabathia or Ben Sheets to work with, but to take over a team that made the playoffs the year before and not even register a winning record in two seasons is unacceptable. There was word that GM Doug Melvin wasn't going to look within the organization for a new manager, and I really really hope this isn't true. There are two very deserving figures in the Brewers organization who I believe have earned a shot to become the full time leader for the Brewers in Dale Sveum and Willie Randolph. I thought Melvin screwed up big time in hiring Macha and if he messes this one up...he's gone. In my mind, I think you either hire Sveum, Randolph, or a guy who doesn't look like he's dead for 162 games. Can't be too hard, can it?

Enough about the coaching situation. Let's get to the men who will be playing on the field next season for the Milwaukee Brewers. I don't have anything to change from my first ever post which pertained to the Brewers' offense. I would like to add that it would be nice to bring back Joe Inglett and Craig Counsell for pinch-hitting purposes, but who knows if either will return. Finding a solidified back-up for Johnny Lucroy is another small issue for next season. I also still think that the Brewers NEED to trade Prince within the next 9 months for some pitching, and if we want to get off to a strong start next season, I'd prefer it happen before game 1 of '11. Speaking of pitching, things were starting to move in the right direction for the hurlers just in time for the end of the season (go figure). Here are some positives to build off from:

-Randy Wolf finished strong to have an overall respectable year (13-12, 4.17 ERA)
-Manny Parra was incredible out of the bullpen (0 ER allowed over last 9 app.)
-Zach Braddock (setup), Kameron Loe (setup), and John Axford (closer) proved they are deserving of their roles.
-Yovani Gallardo was the bona fide ace of the staff (14-7, 3.84 ERA, 200 SO)
-Chris Capuano, Mark Rogers, Mike McClendon and Jeremy Jeffress have all at least earned a shot at making the roster next year.
-Position player Joe Inglett led the team in ERA (0.00)

So where does that leave us? It leaves us very optimistic for the future of all of these guys. It also leaves us with not as many holes as we thought, which was probably the only good thing about being out of the playoff race so early: we got to see what we had within the organization and give some players a chance to prove themselves. Here is my new and improved vision for the Brewers' pitching situation in 2011:

Starters: Gallardo, (Pitcher via trade for Fielder), Wolf, Capuano*, Rogers*
Relievers: Parra, Todd Coffey, Braddock, Loe, (Pitcher via trade for Fielder), Carlos Villanueva, Axford, McClendon
Minor Leagues: Chris Narveson, Mitch Stetter, Marco Estrada, Jeffress, Brandon Kintzler, Chris Smith
Departures: Dave Bush (FA), LaTroy Hawkins (Cut), Trevor Hoffman (FA), Doug Davis (Decline Team Option)

*Minor leagues also possibility depending on free Agent signings/trades

I'm trying to be a little realistic here...will Chris Capuano and Mark Rogers really start the season as the Brewers #4 and #5 starters respectively? Why not? Tell me who else deserves a shot over those guys (assuming we don't sign a free agent or two). Will Jeremy Jeffress start the season in the minor leagues? Probably. But I think he deserves a call-up once the Crew gets a few months into the season. Will the Brewers really receive at least a #3 starter and a legitimate relief pitcher for Fielder? They should (you can see the Free Agents here for other possible pitchers the Brewers can sign instead of getting via trade). So there you have it. My true predictions, and hopes, for what the Brewers 2011 squad will look like on Opening Day.

A few tidbits from the camps of the Packers and Badgers...both LB Nick Barnett (wrist) and Safety Morgan Burnett (ACL) are out for the year. They join RB Ryan Grant on the Injured Reserve...oh boy. A lot of guys are going to have to step up for the Packers now, but it's upsetting to know that this season is horribly affected by injury and could really cost Green Bay a chance at making a deep playoff run. Green Bay plays at Washington tomorrow...the Badgers defeated Minnesota today at Camp Randall by a score of 41-23. Running backs James White and John Clay combined for over 200 yards and 5 TDs. Get ready for Ohio State next week! I'll have more on the game next week.

Go Pack and On Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment