Thursday, October 21, 2010

I'm baa-aaack

I know, I know...it's been awhile. A lot has been keeping me away from the blog lately: my trip to Madison last weekend, the ensuing stomach virus that I at first thought was appendicitis, a ridiculous amount of school work...I hope you can all understand and find it in your hearts to forgive me. Anyway, there's a lot to get to and I know some of this information will be outdated, but I don't give a damn. First, I'll show you who Kyle and I picked for last week's slate of NFL games (I know, not that exciting, but it'll get better, I promise)

Week 6: (DAVE) (KYLE)

Seattle @ CHICAGO (-6.5)
BALTIMORE @ New England (-2.5)
Detroit @ NY GIANTS (-10.5)
ATLANTA @ Philadelphia (-1.5)
CLEVELAND @ PITTSBURGH (-13.5)
MIAMI @ GREEN BAY (-1.5)
San Diego @ ST. LOUIS (+8.5)
New Orleans @ TAMPA BAY (+5.5)
KANSAS CITY @ HOUSTON (-4.5)
OAKLAND @ SAN FRANCISCO (-6.5)
NY JETS @ Denver (+3.5)
Dallas @ MINNESOTA (-1.5)
INDIANAPOLIS @ Washington (-3.5)
TENNESSEE @ JACKSONVILLE (+3.5)

This Week/Overall:
Kyle: 7-7/45-45 (4-0-2)
Dave: 6-8/41-49 (0-4-2)

So where to start? Let's go back to Saturday, October 17th, where perhaps the most exciting and fulfilling Wisconsin sporting event in years took place considering the circumstances (If you missed it, read about it here). Not to brag or anything, but I happened to be in attendance. It's hard to describe the atmosphere in Camp Randall on that epic night...so many different things setting the stage for this game. Going up against the number one team in the nation...nationally televised...night game...and almost the entire student section was filled before the game started! I know, right? Needless to say, I almost peed myself with David Gilreath took it to the house on the first play of the game. The Badgers never looked back and as we SHOULD all know by now, won the game 31-18 in what was without a doubt the greatest sporting event I've ever attended. Despite four different announcements from the public address announcer not to storm the field, the student section ignored this request in vintage Wisconsin fashion and flooded the pitch in a matter of seconds. I saw such players as Jacob Pederson and Aaron Henry (who happened to be crying tears of joy) a lot more up close then I planned on seeing them...ever. After about a half hour of that and a failed attempt of about 30 students to take down the field goal post, it was time to celebrate the victory (perhaps part of the reason I almost died this week...totally worth it). Just give me a few seconds to reflect on this night.

...

Ahhh. Alright.

Meanwhile, 50% of the Green Bay Packers put out about a 50% effort last Sunday at home against the Miami Dolphins, and the result was yet another overtime loss. I believe I've already touched on this, but did you happen to see what occurred after the Packers defense stopped the Dolphins on their first overtime possession? I don't really need to go in depth. A 3 and out and a horrible punt later, Miami had great field position and the Packers were facing an inevitable defeat. That's the last bit of negativity you'll hear out of me about the Packers right now because there is plenty to look forward to and in reality, a lot to be thankful for.

What's that you say? I'm just some pyscho hippie 21-year old college student who doesn't know what he's talking about? That's only partially true. I'll start off small and build up for you fickle minded souls. First of all, what a sweet play by Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' offense to tie the game up in the 4th quarter with that QB sneak. Rodgers showed once again that he has the ability to be clutch by either tying the game late or taking the lead with too much time left on the clock, but then again, can this really be considered 'clutch'? Gotta lead a game WINNING drive, man. Whoops, sorry, that's probably defined as negativity. Furthermore, the Packers are getting a boatload of players back this week from injury including safety Atari Bigby, cornerback Al Harris and linebacker Clay Matthews. This has got to be a huge relief for all Packer fans as our secondary will finally return to what it looked like early on in the 2009 season and we will finally be able to put out a legitimate pass rush against old man Favre. Granted, it will take a few games for Harris and Bigby to get back into game shape seeing as they've missed a large chunk of playing time, but it can't possibly be worse than throwing out the likes of Charlie Peprah and Jarrett Bush to the dogs. And finally, we're only a game back in the division! We're getting healthier! It's not over, people! Have faith. I don't, but that's no reason for you not to! I do believe that the Packers aren't in that bad of a position, but they have to show me something this week against the Vikings. Otherwise, I fear that it's the Vikings division to lose.

Now please don't fear. I promise to never leave that large of a gap between blog posts for as long as I keep this thing going. And I promise to never go back on that promise. In fact, let's be honest. That last relapse CD was Ehhhhh...whoa. Please excuse me, my inner white person who acts black got out for a second. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I'll be back shortly with a Milwaukee Bucks season preview and of course some mention of the Badgers and Golden Eagles college basketball squads, but I understand that most of you don't care too much about those teams until March for obvious reasons.

I'm peacing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment